Job Type: Full Time
OptimumG is looking for an engineer to work on the vehicle dynamics interface between a race tire manufacturer and its race teams for international endurance series, and in tire in-lab testing.
OptimumG is an international vehicle dynamics consultant group that works with motorsports teams and automotive companies to enhance their understanding of vehicle dynamics through consulting, software development, and seminars.
We are looking for a talented tire or performance engineer. In this position, you will be responsible for the following:
Tire testing, modeling, and reporting
In-lab test and modeling of all the tire manufacturer motorsport tires. Responsibilities include:
- Interface between test facility and tire manufacturer
- Development of tire testing procedures
- Tire test attendance (in person or virtually)
- Test data processing, modeling, and reporting
On-track testing and race events
Responsibilities at the track include but is not limited to:
- Pre-event analyses and simulation
- Support teams
- Support the teams with any tire related issues they have. This could be related to performance, consistency, tire wear, failure, etc.
- We could be suggesting different cambers, pressures, car setup, warm-up procedure, oven temperature, driver inputs, and strategy to improve performance or limit tire degradation.
- If we are assigned to work more closely with a specific team, we can strengthen our relationship and might be doing other tasks that related to performance engineering in general
- Good communication is an important skill to perform this part of the work
- Gathering of feedback from the teams to understand what the drivers and teams have to say about the tires or development tires, and report back to the tire manufacturer
- Post-event data review and reporting
- Correlation between findings in the in-lab testing and on-track events
This position requires domestic and international travel.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in mechanical engineering or similar discipline
- Minimum of three years of experience in a similar position in series such as IMSA, WEC, ELMS, Formula 2, etc.
- Proactive and capable of working with little guidance
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good team player and communicator
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
- Willing to travel and work flexible hours, including weekends, as required
- Excellent oral and written English communication
- Good understanding of vehicle dynamics theory and application, simulation, and simulation validation
- Strong understanding of tires, suspension, and aerodynamics—as well as their interaction
- Tire models understanding and experience
- Experience with vehicle dynamics simulation software
- Proficiency in data analysis software programs (e.g., Motec i2, WinDarab, PI, Race Studio Analysis, etc.)
- Ability to develop internal tools/software for data processing and analysis
- Capable of using data processing and analysis as a decision-making tool
- Data-driven mindset
- Extremely organized and systematic approach to work
- Tire testing experience (test procedure development or test data processing)
- Tire modeling experience
- Tire physics understanding
- Laboratory test experience (e.g., K&C, Post-Rig, Wind Tunnel)
- Programming knowledge (Matlab, Python, VBA, etc.)
- Proficiency in one of the following languages would be an additional asset: Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, or Spanish